About Theta Xi

Theta Xi Fraternity is a national leader in the educational and social development of its members. Its successes and diversity have been celebrated by over 60,000 members since its founding. The Purpose of Theta Xi is to provide a college home environment for its active members in which fellowship and alumni guidance lead to wholesome mental, moral, physical and spiritual growth.


Theta Xi (ΘΞ) was founded at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York on April 29, 1864. With its Headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, the fraternity serves its chapters and colonies nationwide. Theta Xi offers a comprehensive new member education program and numerous leadership academies for its members to attend throughout their undergraduate college career. Currently, the fraternity is represented at 58 campuses across the United States.

About Kappa Phi

The Kappa Phi Chapter of Theta Xi Fraternity was originally founded on the campus of Western Carolina College in Cullowhee, North Carolina as Chi Delta, a local fraternity, on February 1, 1957. The founders felt that there was a need for the Greek letter fraternities to be organized at Western Carolina. The founding of Chi Delta and subsequent other local fraternities filled the social vacuum that had been caused by the rapid growth of the college.
   
On April 12, 1958, the members of Chi Delta were initiated into the Kappa Sigma Kappa Fraternity. As a result, the chapter became the first National Fraternity established on campus. On August 20, 1962, Kappa Sigma Kappa merged with Theta Xi Fraternity. Theta Xi Fraternity was the only fraternity founded during the Civil War, on April 29, 1864. The chapter at Western Carolina University became the Kappa Phi Chapter of Theta Xi Fraternity.
   
The Kappa Phi chapter won Theta Xi’s highest award, The Memorial Trophy, in the 1969-70 school term. Long term advisor, Dr. Fred Hinson, is a past National President of Theta Xi Fraternity and is a member of the Order of the Unicorn, Theta Xi’s highest individual award.
   
In 1978, the Kappa Phi Alumni Association purchased property off campus and in 1979, became the first Fraternity at Western Carolina University to build a fraternity house for its membership. In 2007, the house was sold, however the Alumni Association has additional property for future building.
   
Most recently, the Kappa Phi Alumni Association successfully re-chartered the chapter at Western Carolina, and marked the Fiftieth Anniversary of its founding.

The Purpose of Theta Xi

is to provide a college home environment for its active members in which fellowship and alumni guidance lead to wholesome mental, moral, physical, and spiritual growth. To that end Theta Xi actively supports and augments college and community efforts to make individual members more mature and chapter groups more useful units of society. Through its alumni and undergraduate leadership Theta Xi endeavors to assist each member to develop:

    ONE, intellectual curiosity that assures the highest scholarship rating consistent with his ability;

    TWO, habits that lead to better mental and physical health;

    THREE, sincerity in his association with others and confidence in himself;

    FOUR, responsibility to chapter, college, community, and country;

    FIVE, leadership that comes from practicing the principles of democratic self-government;

    SIX, interests and activities outside regular scholastic studies that employ spare time to advantage;

    SEVEN, spiritual understanding that provides a reservoir of strength to draw upon when faced with   conditions beyond comprehension.

Benefits of Being a Theta Xi

  • Make the best friends of your life

  • Non-hazing

  • Leadership Opportunities

  • Sports Competitions

  • Philanthropy Events

  • Career Opportunities

  • Become part of a vast national network


History of Theta Xi

  • April 29, 1864: Theta Xi was founded at Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York


  • Nationwide fraternity with 52 active chapters across 24 different states across the country


  • The Kappa Phi chapter here at WCU was re-colonized in August 2011, and received its charter on April 27th, 2013